If New Jersey’s sometimes-wet, often-cold winter has you wishing for spring warmth, channel that pent-up energy into summer project planning. Landscaping and outdoor lifestyle upgrades require vision and strategy, and the off-season gives you time to dream. Winter is also a great chance to interview full-service landscape companies since designers and landscape architects have more scheduling availability.
Plan Your Dreamscape, Step by Step
Taking a deep dive into your wants, needs and budget realities is the first step to a successful outdoor makeover. With the help of family and other occupants, build a wish list and prioritize your ideas. Factors like lifestyle, current needs, future growth plans, and home resale value are all relevant to this phase. If you have existing drainage problems, outdoor repairs or infrastructure issues that could interfere with your master plan, it’s also a wise time to plan for a fix.
Next, begin dreaming—BIG! From state-of-the-art kitchens to large entertaining areas and outdoor spas, tons of custom features boost curb appeal, expand your play spaces, welcome company and safeguard your privacy. Don’t worry about overreaching. After finalizing your project objectives, you can always revisit the list and remove or delay initiatives that don’t fit your current finances or timeline. An accomplished landscape expert is a helpful resource here. They will help you refine the construction plan, select trees, and plantings, and create a working blueprint for each project phase.
Features for Custom NJ Outdoor Living Areas
Whether your budget dictates your dream space be completed over time or you intend to do everything at once, these questions will help you settle on a list of structural elements, gardens and trees, or accent features.
- Who will use the space (adults, children, seniors or pets)?
- Which existing structures cannot or should not be changed?
- How much upkeep is acceptable?
- What primary activities will you enjoy in your outdoor living area?
- What role will turf, plants, and trees play in your space?
For more information and landscaping ideas, print and complete this HGTV questionnaire. Once you’ve identified a list that captures your interest, label items as essential, desirable or unwanted. Your list may include options like these:
- Dining areas for family or parties
- Freestanding or installed seating
- Retaining walls, bench walls & stonework
- Kitchens, pizza ovens & built-in grills
- Sinks, refrigerators & wine coolers
- Outdoor counters & utility storage
- Custom fire pits, fireplaces & fire features
- Pergolas & gazebos
- Water features, pool fountains & hot tubs
- Walkways & patios
- Flower beds, shrubs & trees
- Irrigation systems
- Sound systems & accent lighting
- Outdoor heaters & cooling systems
No matter which hardscape and softscape priorities make the cut, High Tech’s landscape designers and construction specialists partner with you to bring them to life. And with our help, you can brainstorm seasonal solutions that deliver year-round outdoor fun—from cooking and hot-tubbing to cool-weather parties and snow play.
Expand Your Horizons With High Tech Landscapes
The drawn-out months of winter are a great time to daydream about outdoor renovations. With a head-start on planning, you’ll be ready to entertain, gather with family and enjoy New Jersey’s outdoor beauty—from the first day of summer to fall’s last hurrah.